Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Passion

I felt it yesterday. It was exciting and completely fulfilling. It was all-consuming!

Did you feel it too?

Having left the comforts of home, I found myself in a local pub that was completely jam-packed full of football fans. There must have been 300+ people and the air was heavy, making it difficult to breath. No one was complaining, though. The occasion? Argentina Vs Ivory Coast.

Could you believe that there was absolutely bo soul in support of the mighty Argentina at that particular pub? Yeah. We cheered, we jeered, we cursed, we laughed and, ultimately, we left for home bitterly disappointed.

I don't particularly like Drogba but when he scored, the whole pub erupted into a whole 5 minutes of wild celebrations(me inclusive). The match was lost but the Ivory Coast fought bravely and gave us heart to return to that same pub for the Angola game.

We were real fans. If we had known the Ivory Coast anthem, we'd have sung it. However, I do believe that everyone was secretly wishing that it was Kenya out there doing us proud. I so wish this were so.

The World Cup looks likely to overshadow the national league but here are the results:

Mathare 2 Ulinzi 0
Sony 1 Chemelil 0
Telkom 0 Mathare Youth 1
W.Hope 0 Agro 0
Securicor 0 Shabana 0
Thika 2 Kangemi 0
Ulinzi 0 Coast 0

What is goin on? Ivory Coast, Angola and Ghana lost! I dont think I can take any more disappointment but still I soldier on. Lets pray for both Togo and Tunisia.

3 comments:

Kabinti said...

I concur, lakini let's hope somehow they will make it through *crossing fingers*

Anonymous said...

yup, let's hope our African teams do us proud ... maybe not Cote D'Ivoire coz I have 'vested interests' in the Netherlands... am rooting for Ghana.

Valedon said...

Oh my! It seems all our teams are losing.
Its been three consecuive days of heartbreak.
Lets hope Togo and Tunisia win or at least draw.
Thanks for commenting